Have you tried or do you know about the ancient Ayurvedic practice of oil pulling? Oil pulling is detoxifying and cleaning your mouth by literally sucking the toxins & any debris out of your mouth. This leaves you with a clean & antiseptic oral environment, it also helps your body correct the balance of salvia in your mouth, which we need to prevent tooth cavities and gum disease. In studies, it’s also been proven to be even more effective than flossing and it naturally whitens your teeth!
Traditionally, sesame oil was used for oil pulling, but coconut sunflower oil and are also popular.
- Always choose organic, cold pressed unrefined oil. Put 1-2 teaspoons of oil into your mouth.
- Swish it around in your mouth for 20 minutes, no more no less. The timing is key, long enough to break through plaque and any bacteria but not too long as the body starts to re-absorbing any toxins and bacteria that the oil has pulled.
- The oil will get thicker as it is mixed with saliva during this time.
- It will be creamy-white when spat out.
- Spit the oil into a trash can / paper towel after the 20 minutes is up. Remember don’t swallow the oil as it is full of bacteria, plaque and toxins from out of your mouth.
- Rinse your mouth well with warm salty water, warm water always clean the mouth better.
- Then brush well to make sure any remaining bacteria is removed.
So what do you think? Are you willing to give oil pulling a try?