Many people toss and turn every night, insomnia seems to have reached epidemic proportions. Sleep is as essential as food and water for us. According to numerous sleep studies adults between the ages of 26-64 years need on average 8 hours sleep per night. Not getting the recommended amount of sleep each night can mean that your wellbeing will suffer and long term sleep deprivation can lead to serious health issues. The benefits of using essential oils to calm the mind, body and to help people sleep better are well documented. Remember that each of us has different biochemistry, so what works for me, may not work for you or members of your family. An oil that calms your mind and body will help you sleep and resolve those nightime disturbances. The oils most recommended are; True Lavender – Lavandula angustifolia helps you fall asleep and stay asleep & Roman Chamomile – Anthemis nobilis is both sedative and relaxing.
Try diffusing oils your oils next to your bed and these 3 homemade blends.
- 2 Drops Ylang Ylang, 1 Drop Bergamot, 1 Drop Rose, 1 Drop Roman Chamomile & 1 Drop Valerian
- 2 Drops Lavender, 2 Drops Clary Sage, 1 Drop of Ylang Ylang & 1 Drop Roman Chamomile
- 2 Drops Roman Chamomile, 2 Drops Patchouli & 2 Drops Rose
Applying your oils topically to the balls of your feet and skin reaching to the juncture of your toes, under your jawbones and on the back of your neck. Make your blends into rollerballs with a carrier oil.
- 1% dilution is 3 drops of EO per tablespoon of carrier oil – 1% of 300 drops is 3
This percentage is recommended for those children over the age of 6, pregnant women, elderly adults, people with a sensitive skin type – the dilution is recommended when using essential oils topically, for massage or in lotions and rubs.
- 2% dilution is 6 drops of EO per tablespoon of carrier oil – 2% of 300 drops is 6
This is ideal for most normal adults, for use in daily aromatherapy or topical application.
- 3% dilution is 9 drops of EO per tablespoon of carrier oil – 3% of 300 drops is 9
This is ideal for treating temporary health concerns and topical application for muscle pain, injury or respiratory problems.
Another idea is a Misting Spray using the blends above or try my Lavender and Cedarwood spray.
- Add 20 drops of essential oil into a 4oz glass spray bottle.
- Fill the remaining 4oz bottle with water.
- Shake well.
- Mist your pillow before bedtime to help aid sleep and provide a restful night.
Remember these essential oils all have relaxing and even sedative properties, combined they can be very effective but always try different combinations to find what will work the best for you and your family.