Many of the everyday store purchased products that we use to clean our homes contain harmful chemicals – ammonia, chlorine, phthalates, triclosan and sodium hydroxide are just to name a few. I refuse to use products that have these as ingredients, I have replaced them with safer options. These are 5 my favourites store purchased housekeeping products:
- Volcanic Deodorizer & Air Freshener – These little bags of porous bags of volcanic rock absorb and neutralize odours, including smoke and perfume. You need place the bags in the sun every 6 months then soak in salt water, rinsing thoroughly and then allow to dry. These are great for closets, attics and basements.
- Bon Ami Powder Cleanser – The key ingredients of limestone, feldspar, baking soda and soda ash create a wonderful super effective yet gentle cleaner.
- Wool Dryer Balls – Dryer sheets are filled with harmful chemicals and perfumes which transfer to your clothes, then absorb into your skin. I love using wool dryer balls because there are no chemicals, I use a few drops of organic essential oil on the balls for each load of laundry. My linens smell amazing and the wool balls actually cut down on drying time.
- Murchison-Hume Glass Cleaner – It’s completely ammonia & dye-free. I use it my windows, mirrors and iPad & cell phones screens. It’s cruelty free and safe for pets & children alike. Oh and the packaging is super cute.
- Biokleen All Purpose Cleaner Concentrate – This is a super concentrated all-purpose cleaner, mix only one ounce of cleaner with one gallon of water. The citrus and grapefruit seed extracts contained are gentle but powerful ingredients. It contains no artificial fragrance & colours, phosphate, chlorine, ammonia and petroleum solvents.